Behavior plans for a new year....

I'm over the red, yellow, green system and all other variations (I used Lilly slips in place of red last year- inspired by Kevin Henkes).  I know there is a better way.  I don't want kids to earn rewards for doing things that they should be doing anyway, as part of a classroom community.  Did the kiddos who were on red/ Lilly slip really learn anything aside from "if you do this, you will miss 10 minutes of playtime"?  Was it just so I could feel better?  At the end of the day, the kiddos who were on yellow, were constantly on yellow.  The behavior did not change.  They were not learning how their choices were impacting the school community and ultimately the safety of others (emotional or physical).

 Even though I'm moving to 1st grade, I'm participating in a book club with the kinder teachers in my building to learn about Conscious Discipline.  I have to say, after only 2 chapters, my thinking has changed.  I've learned that I must first change and that I'm responsible for my reaction to my students. 

Essentially, brain research indicates that fear inhibits optimal learning.  We don't use this method for for reading and writing, but it seems perfectly acceptable when teaching social skills.  The school "family" is the foundation.  This book teaches us how to create that environment for our classroom family.According to Bailey, this system is based on 3 premises:
  1. Controlling and changing ourselves is possible and has a profound impact on others.
  2. Connectedness governs behavior.
  3. Conflict is an opportunity to teach.
There are 7 Skills that give us certain Powers:
  1. Composure: Perception (No one can make you angry/ control your feelings.)
  2. Encouragement: Unity (We are all in this together.)
  3. Assertiveness: Attention (What you focus on, you get more of.)
  4. Choices: Free Will (The only person you can change is yourself.)
  5. Positive Intent: Love (See the best in others.)
  6. Empathy: Acceptance (This moment is as it is.)
  7. Consequences: Intention (Mistakes are opportunities to learn.)
These concepts are modeled by the teacher and taught to the students during a morning meeting or family gathering as the year goes on.  There are ideas for rituals to reinforce the community and safety feeling.  Bailey also discusses how to manage stress and feeling of fear or anxiety.  There is so much to tell you all about this program..... ahhhhhh!  I'm sure I'll be keeping you updated on how this goes.