Blu Kouzina

I'll admit it. I am a typical kiasu Singaporean. But if making a reservation a month in advance to secure an unforgettable dining experience is what it takes, I’ll do it. Giving myself a pat on the back for an excellent choice for a group dinner gathering!



Blu Kouzina’s been on my radar on a while and judging by the reviews online and how hard it is to get a reservation, I daresay I’m not alone. It’s a lovely place indeed. Think Santorini’s white washed walls, blue doors and windows, an open concept kitchen, bustling dinner crowd and you’ll hardly feel like you are in Singapore.



Since there were 6 of us, we decided to order a selection of mezedes (greek tapas) and kreatiko (meats) to share. I must compliment the efficiency of the kitchen because at 8.30pm we were all starved and the food came very promptly after we placed our orders.



First up was the melitzanosalata (smoked eggplant with herbs). It was very flavourful and we wiped it up greedily with our order of pita bread, fresh from the oven. Yums, great way to start the meal.



Next, we had the saganaki (goat cheese) with figs and sauce. It didn’t look like much but I thought it was very good – the sweetness of the figs complimented the saltiness of the goat cheese perfectly!



The spanakopita (filo pastry with spinach and feta cheese) was a big hit. Everyone loved it. Crispy crust with warm creamy filling, I wish they sold these frozen so I could buy some home to pop into my oven.



Only K ordered an individual portion of lentil soup and he said it was very hearty. The rest of us devoured the kalamaki (beef) souvlaki and the paidaki stin Sxara (lamb chops). Oh dear, not enough to go around. The portions of these mains were a tad small. Luckily the mousaka (oven baked eggplant with potatoes and mincemeat) - comfort food - filled us up.



We splurged on a psarika anamikta (grilled seafood platter). $98 seemed a bit expensive but when it arrived, we were quite pleased with it – there was a whole red snapper (400g), 3 Jumbo Prawns and a large squid. Everything was grilled to perfection and drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and lemon. The taste of the ocean reminded me of my surreal holiday many years back island-hopping in Santorini, Mykonos, Paros and Crete *big sigh, those were the days*



We washed all these excellent dishes down with “dry white wine” recommended by the owner of the restaurant. I didn’t know them Greeks made such good wine. We had 3 bottles of the Mercouri Estate Foloi White 2009 (Korakohori Ilias, Greece) – fantastic value at $38 a pop (unbelievable value). The wine is made from a blend of Roditis & Viognier. Rather reminds me of a sauvignon blanc, but this is pale yellow in color with a much fruitier and floral aroma and taste.



For desserts, we tried the baklava and the yoghurt with spoon sweets. The baklava gave a sweet end to the meal. I liked the spoon sweets but I miss the creamier and sourish yoghurt I had in Greece (that was my breakfast for 2 whole weeks and I never got sick of it).



I am already planning a return trip to Blu Kouzina. The service here is great (although the manager looks a bit stressed) and I really appreciated how enthusiastic the sommelier was in introducing us the wines. Greek wines are definitely worth exploring and all the better, when at a lovely greek restaurant like this.