Alto Taberna

Ever since my trip to Spain last year, I have occasionally been dreaming of the tapas I had there and how good they were. Bar Bocaito’s bacalao con caviar (salt cod pâté with caviar). Casa Lucas’ Madrid tapa (canape spread with tomato confit topped with a mixture of scrambled egg, blood sausage, raisins and pine nuts, decorated with fried potato sticks). Love.

I have been trying to find authentic Spanish tapas in Singapore for the longest time. So far, my little Spanish Place ain’t too bad, the food at Don Quinjote was so-so but service sucked, and Serenity Tapas Bar at Vivo was satisfactory. But nothing amazing.

Alto Taberna last night, was surprisingly good. In terms of authenticity, it comes up tops. The menu is limited, with only 16 tapas items and maybe another 2 daily specials. Nothing to fault there, as there is only the chef and one waitress there – it’s a small outfit in Holland Village.

We ordered a ton of items (as usual) and what impressed me was how consistently good everything was. I love the excellent olive oil they use! Try the stuffed peppers with mashed salted cod, the gambas al pil pil, meatballs, roasted cauliflower and duck rilette – all very good! Haha I know I’m gushing but of course I’m excited – I finally found the taste of Spain in Singapore!

They should hire more help though. Service can get slow when the place fills up. But it’s a Spanish joint, so go after 8pm – late dinners mah.

Address: 16A Lorong Mambong, Holland Village