Words Their Way inspired!

As I've been going through this journey of learning about WTW in first grade, I've been thinking that you don't have to throw out everything else when you adopt a new program.  Let me be clear- I am adding additional things to the program in the spirit of the theory, not taking away anything.  The heart of the program is sorting and looking for patterns in words.  However, I love the idea of making words out of specific letters.  This can be easily added into the WTW concept by making the rule that the designated pattern is to be followed.  This will expand the application beyond the words originally provided in the sort.

Here is a sample of what I'm talking about:



Using the WTW books, I created a page of these for each of the sorts in the Letter Name Alphabetic Spellers stage and I'm still working on the Within Word Pattern stage (give me another week or two!).  The words do not match exactly, just use the same spelling or phonics pattern.  I'm putting them up on Teachers Pay Teacher to kick off Teacher Appreciation Week with a 20% off sale.  You can get an additional 10% off from TPT too!
                                

Michele's TPT Store


I hope your class enjoys them as much as my class does!