I Want to be a Domesticated Goddess (Part 3)

Happy anniversary and another successful culinary experiment! As part of our austerity drive, I suggested cooking for B at home, rather than going out and splurging on a fancy dinner.

"What would you like to have?" I asked. "Vongole", he said.


Erm.. ok, new dish. So in the spirit of Bobby Fray, I went online in (re)search of the "perfect vongole" recipe and tada, this was what I cooked for my darling on this special occasion. Looks good, doesn't it, if I dare (shamelessly) say so myself?


Here's the recipe:

Serves 2

1 kg clams (we used manila clams)
1/2 Onion, Chopped
1.5 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1.5 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Fish Stock (I couldn’t find clam juice)
1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes
500g Chopped Dry Spicy Italian Sausage
1/4 Cup Chopped Clean Parsley
One Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
1/2 chili padi finely chopped

Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet. Add the onion and sausage. Saute slowly until the sausage begins to brown and caramelize slightly on the surface, cook onion until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes (allow garlic to soften without browning).

Turn heat up slightly and add the fish stock, wine, chili and tomatoes (allow wine to simmer and deglaze the pan) and cook until reduced to about 2 cups. Season with salt and pepper. Add the clams, cover and cook for about 5 minutes or until the clams have opened. Discard any clams that do not open. Add the bits of butter and new parsley and stir well into the mixture.

Serve immediately with pasta.