Math Station Meyhem!

Yowza!  My math station organization was in some serious need of help!  Sure, I like to project the image of matching bins and decor, all neatly organized- however, under all the matching light blue and green, I had a dark secret my friends.  Not only do I have a "Monica's Closet" (obscure reference to an episode of Friend's which I may discuss at another time- like when I get around to cleaning it!), my growing Math Station games and activities were taking over and perhaps breeding little math games.

Because I switched grades this year, I gifted a kinder teacher many of my math games.  The stack of 1st grade games and activities were limited at the start of the year.  As I taught the new standards, I began purchasing (thanks to the creative teachers from TPT) and making the new activities.  Without tons of direction or thought involved, I've been tossing them in a small drawer that gives the illusion of organization.


 As you can see, I've out grown the drawers and something needed to be done.  Just about the time I was ready to tackle this project, I was in my my teaching partner (Health Nut)'s room.  We have been making games and talking a lot about the practice aspect of math and interventions.  Right there, on her counter, was my answer/ inspiration!  She has been slowly purchasing these awesome, plastic folders as she created games.  They hold 9X12 items and have a snap closure.  I got mine from Target (5 for around $3.75).  They kind of look like this:

I used my label maker to label them.  It seems to work better than making labels on the computer.  I didn't need them too fancy, since I'm the only one who will see them. 


Once I had these done, I needed the PERFECT container to keep them all in and divide them out by curriculum strand.  I keep these in my tall cupboards.


On a side note, I don't keep all of the activities out at once.  I find that they get to involved in the choosing and will either waste time or pick the least challenging one available!  As I change the stations, I keep the child-accessible ones in these bins (clear ones inside the cabinet):


They pick their assigned activity up at the back of the room and get started.  You can read more about my Math Stations in previous posts and get the labels HERE.

Happy organizing!