Cook for family: Herbs de Provence Roast Chicken

CookForFamily is an initiative conjured up by food blogger and Radio 100.3FM deejay Daniel Ang, with the objective of getting more bloggers and their readers, to start cooking for their families.

Gulp.

I've only cooked for the family once. But I have hosted multiple dinner parties for my friends. My bad. Well, better late than never, right?  

It was National Day, the perfect occasion for a family get together. Big bro had just had a minor op and couldn't drive so Sis and I decided to "journey to the northeast" - sheesh Punggol is far! The thought of seeing my cute nieces made up for the long ride there - Analisa and Adelia are super duper cute.

Serves 5

1 chicken (try to get bigger ones, 1.6kg and above)
2 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon herbs de provence
0.5 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
1 tablespoon honey


1. Place butter, honey, herbes de Provence, and salt in small bowl; mash with fork until blended to thick granular paste. Starting at neck end of each chicken, loosen skin under breasts and thighs. Rub herb-seasoned butter on chicken under skin and on outside. Put in ziplock bag and chill least 2 hours. Let chickens stand at room temperature about 30 minutes before cooking.


2. Here I did a 2-phased roasting:

(i) Preheat oven to 200°C. For crispier skin, place chicken on a wire rack on top of baking tray (to collect juices). After 30min, take out the chicken and baste it with olive oil/juices. 

(ii) Return chicken to the wire rack in oven and bake at 180°C, until the meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 70-75°C [For my oven, this took another 50min]

Cover chicken with foil and let rest for 10 minutes.


TADA~! Operation roast chicken was a huge success - my family loved it (well, at least they said they did - that's what family are for, right?). I thought mixing honey with the herbs was rather genius of me (self-praise) and it gave the chicken that slight tinge of savory sweetness.