Just Keep Swimming

Eyelashes wet with tears
Hot little face
Flushed red and crumpled
Fighting the sleep and pain of teeth
Fat little fist
Curled 'round my finger
Trying to hold on to wakefulness
Not quite succeeding
Whimpers get softer
Eyelids drop closed
Sleep takes over
But Mummy hangs on

Ok, little poetic interlude there people. Lets call that " Ode to Sleepy, Cranky Flynny ". I had to lie down with him this afternoon and help him get to sleep - it took 40 minutes but it was worth it. He might scream and sqwauk and cry for a while but damn is my child cute, with his little chubby cheeks and chubby hands and fluffy hair. That being said, i cant wait to get him into the kind of routine where i can pop his binky in, give him his blanky, put him in his cot and he'll drift off to sleep on his own. I have plans for that, just not quite yet. I think i'll let him get completely over the tummy troubles and comfortable with his solids ( pumpkin rocks his world! ) before i spring anything new on him.

Except swimming. Some of the other mums and bubs from our mothers group have been going swimming for weeks now ( one of the girls in our group is a swim teacher so she's teaching everyone for free ) and i've been too embarrassed to go. I didnt think my swimmers from last summer would feet me ( big baby boobs again.... ) and i didnt want anyone to see my " mummy tummy ". But you know what? Thats really damn selfish of me. Why should i hold my baby back from doing something new, from learning something important, just because i feel a bit fatt-ish? So i'm going to try those swimmers on tonight and if they fit we're off to the pool on Friday. Mick said if i feel a bit self conscious i can borrow a pair of his football shorts to wear as boardshorts - aint he nice? - and the only other thing i have to do is get Flynn some swim nappies.

Look out heated indoor pool - Flynn, his mummy, and her tummy are coming your way!