Yu Champagne Bar

Call me suaku but I’ve never been to the Marina Bay Sands Waterfront. Kind of silly, actually, given that I work in Raffles Place and I’ve been to both Osteria and Pizzeria Mozza.



Well, better late than never.



I like how breezy and open the MBS Waterfront is – lovely for hanging out after work. In case you are interested, there’re a few sessions of a light (laser) and water show every night from 8pm. It’s free.



Me, I was there to check out Yu Champagne Bar. It’s not a very big place and outdoor seating is limited, but we were early and got a table with good “fengshui”. There’s a good variety of cocktails and beers, and Irene (who’s in the wine business) says the wine list is good. Hmm. I’m a very price elastic type of wine drinker. I found the bottle prices to be rather expensive, similar to Oyster Bar pricing. Fortunately for us thirsty types, they do a good happy hour before 8pm. It was $15 bucks for 1-for-1 glasses of the house wines (an easy Chardonnay from dunno-where).



We ordered a whole bunch of bar snacks to share. First we had the fries with spicy creamy sauce. The sauce tasted like chilli crab sauce, nice! But $8 is a bit pricey. Next, we had the crispy tofu cubes. Yucks, not nice.



The two platters we ordered fared better. The dim sum platter came with about 7 types of dim sum, including steamed prawn and pork dumplings, fried spring rolls and this fried sesame pocket thingy with prawn fillings. I really liked the mixed meat platter with a trio of char siu, roast pork and roast duck. Not a large portion but very tasty. I must go try the Chinese restaurant downstairs some time.



Yu Cuisine is owned by the same people behind Bosses at Vivocity, so we knew we HAD to order the crispy aromatic duck. We had mostly girls present, so we ordered conservatively half a duck ($25). Very good! The meat falls apart like pork floss and the skin is crisply divine.



Great night out chilling out with the homies!